Thursday, March 15, 2012

Weigh-in, Shrimp, and Biking

I lost 3.6 pounds this week. Alright! Now the trick is to keep it off for next week. No pressure, Kels. This back-and-forth loss/gain is getting old, but I am thankful that I’m not consistently gaining. Because that would be pretty defeating, no?

I have two things to share with you this week. First, I would like to introduce you to my new love:


BRUSSEL SPROUTS!!! How have I come this far in life without befriending these little guys?! I’ve been making up for lost time, that’s for sure. In the past two weeks I’ve eaten about five pounds of these round balls of heaven.

Stephanie introduced me to them a few months ago at one of our book clubs (side note: Rules of Civility = Fantastic novel; I highly recommend it). She cut them in half, laid them in one layer, cut side up, in a baking dish, drizzled olive oil on them, and sprinkled them with salt. Then she put them in the oven on 350o for about 1 hour. The outer leaves got black and crispy, the olive oil soaked in and made the sprouts tender enough to swallow whole (kind of like cereal that has been soaking in milk for a while). And the salt brought out the flavor. When I made them last week, I paired them with Cajun shrimp and it was just perfect.


Second, in exercise news, I’m alternating working from our Pittsburgh office and my apartment this week, so I’ve had to work out at the YMCA all week. Been doing pretty good so far (I’m getting up and going before I start my work-from-home days) and have been on-point. Small successes. But it’s warming up here. I bought my new clipless pedals (have I told you this?!), Clay put them on my bike yesterday, and I’m ready to hit the trail once Clay gets his new handlebars on his bike. I have a feeling I’m going to log a ton of miles this biking season. Just watch me.

Weight loss this week: 3.6 pounds
Total weight loss: 40.6 pounds

4 comments:

  1. Mmm Cajun shrimp! Yum! I'm not a fan of brussell sprouts, but they sure do look good there! And 3.6 pounds? Wow! Good job! I'm jealous! I only lost 1.7 pounds this week. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You keep up the good work, too. And maybe give brussel sprouts another go. I used to hate them as a child.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure if I'm allowed brussel sprouts on the diet I am on, but if I am, I'll have to try them this way. Who knows, maybe I've been missing out!

      Delete